You need to first take Youth Protection training before registering as a Counselor. It is an online course that takes about 75 minutes. Here's how:

  • Go to https://my.scouting.org/ and click on "Youth Protection Training". If you don’t have an account you will have to create one. 
  • Print the certificate or save so you can attach it to your BSA Adult Application
  • Note you will have to retake this course every 2 years
  • Proceed to "If you are already registered with BSA


There are two forms:

1. Fill out a BSA Adult Application Form. The link frequently changes, so you'll need to google "BSA Adult Application" to get the form. You need to do this even if you have already filled out an Adult Application with the Troop. Its the same form but you are applying to a different position. Note that:

  • There are two required pages. The one where you fill in all of your info (page 3 this year) and one where you allow a background check (page 9 this year).
  • We only need one copy. You may scan and email it. You may also omit your SSN as long as you put your BSA ID.
  • Enter position code “42” and “Merit Badge Counselor” as the position (even if you hold another position in the Troop);

2. Fill in the Merit Badge Counselor Application Form (see "Forms" on the left side of the Troop 61 Homepage, www.dctroop.org). Note you may specify if you just want to be a Counselor for Troop 61 or if youth from around the District may contact you as well.

 Give or email the 2 forms and the YPT certificate to Vicki Burns at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..