To become a Merit Badge Counselor you need to take Youth Protection training, register with BSA, and fill out a merit badge counselor application. Here's how:

 1. Take Youth Protection

  • It takes about 1 hour online.
  • Go to and click on "Youth Protection Training". If you don’t have an account you will have to create one. 
  • Print the certificate or save so you can attach it to your BSA Adult Application
  • Note you will have to retake this course every 2 years

2. Fill out a BSA Adult Application Form. The link frequently changes, so you'll need to google "BSA Adult Application" to get the form.

  • We only need one copy;
  • Enter position code “42” and “Merit Badge Counselor” as the position (even if you hold another position in the Troop);
  • This form is required even if you are already registered with BSA;

3. Fill in the Merit Badge Counselor Application Form (see "Forms" on the left side of the Troop 61 Homepage, Note you may specify if you just want to be a Counselor for Troop 61 or if youth from around the District may contact you.


Give or email the 2 forms and the YPT certificate to Vicki Burns at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..