To become a Merit Badge Counselor you need to take Youth Protection training, register with BSA, and fill out a merit badge counselor application. Here's how:
1. Take Youth Protection
- It takes about 1 hour online.
- Go to https://my.scouting.org/ and click on "Youth Protection Training". If you don’t have an account you will have to create one.
- Print the certificate or save so you can attach it to your BSA Adult Application
- Note you will have to retake this course every 2 years
2. Fill out a BSA Adult Application Form. The link frequently changes, so you'll need to google "BSA Adult Application" to get the form.
- We only need one copy;
- Enter position code “42” and “Merit Badge Counselor” as the position (even if you hold another position in the Troop);
- This form is required even if you are already registered with BSA;
3. Fill in the Merit Badge Counselor Application Form (see "Forms" on the left side of the Troop 61 Homepage, www.dctroop.org). Note you may specify if you just want to be a Counselor for Troop 61 or if youth from around the District may contact you.